Children’s Liturgy of the Word
The Children’s Liturgy of the Word (CLOW) is a ministry providing a prayerful environment for young children to hear God’s Word in the Sunday readings. The purpose of this ministry is to engage children in becoming active participants of the Mass celebration, experience God’s love and grace, and help them to grow and deepen their faith.
All children are called to Children’s Liturgy of the Word by the Celebrant after the Opening Prayer. Children who wish to participate will join the Adult Leader in the front of the Church, who will then lead them to the Church basement. The children will hear the Sunday readings and Gospel in a simple, relatable manner and will be invited to participate in interactive dialogue and activities related to the readings. They will rejoin their families in the congregation after the homily.
Frequently Asked Questions
When is it offered?
- During the 9:00 AM Mass from September through April
Who may participate?
- Children ages 4-8 years old; generally those who have not yet received Holy Communion
- Older siblings are welcome to be a support
How does it work?
- Children are dismissed from Mass before the First Reading. They rejoin their families after the homily for the Liturgy of the Eucharist.
Do I need to pre-register my child to attend?
- No. All children are welcome and invited to join the Adult Leader when called.
Do I need to accompany my child?
- No, although you are most welcome to attend. Generally the child should be mature enough to be away from his/her parent for a short period of time and to participate in responses.
Who are the Adult Leaders?
- The Adult Leaders are lay members of the parish who volunteer their time to teach the young children.
- For the 2022-23 school year, the Adult Leaders are fellow parishioners Joanna Sirusas, Chelsea Wagner, Kathy Drees, and Lucy Zungailia
Want to learn more about this program, COME AND JOIN US!
For additional information please contact Joanna Sirusas at firstname.lastname@example.org.